It appears I removed the political bumper stickers from my car just in time — that is, before the Missouri Information Analysis Center issued to members of the Missouri law enforcement community what one writer described as “chilling instructions” about how to identify members of the “modern militia movement.”
Don’t get me wrong! I’m not a member and don’t know anyone who is, but I do seem to match many of the criteria for being identified as a member of the movement, according to the MIAC Strategic Report issued Feb. 20 by the heretofore little-known branch of the Missouri State Police.
It’s all spelled out in this document (pdf), complete with the signature of the Show-Me State’s new liberal governor, Democrat Jay Nixon. Here are some examples:
- ECONOMIC COLLAPSE OF THE UNITED STATES: They explain, “Many militia organizations feel that the U.S. government will fall due to economic or racial issues.” They follow up on that thought by citing the influence of a recent political forecast by Igor Panarin, a Russian professor, upon militia members. Panarin predicted in December that the U.S. would collapse and split into six different regions controlled by foreign governments. Lock me up! On Dec. 29, I wrote and published a post about Panarin’s prediction and even reprinted the very map contained in the MIAC document — and I did it on the same day as the subversives at the Wall Street Journal published an article on the same subject.
- NORTH AMERICAN UNION: They explain that conspiracy theorists claim that a North American Union would link Canada, the United States, and Mexico and would, among other things, unify its monetary system and trade the dollar for the Amero. Lock me up! In a post Aug. 17, 2008, I announced that North American Union coins were already available for puchase!
- RFID TECHNOLOGY: They explain that militia members fear the government will enforce mass RFID human implantations that would make it possible for the government to continually know the locations of all citizens. Lock me up! I’ve written at least three posts about RFID technology since Aug. 30, 2008.
- CHRISTIAN IDENTITY: Next to a page 4 subhead, “Christian Identity,” they explain that religious ideology is popular in extreme right-wing circles. Lock me up! I’m a Christian!
- POLITICAL PARAPHERNALIA: They claim that militia members most commonly associate with third-party political groups, that it is not uncommon for militia members to display Constitution Party, Campaign for Liberty or Libertarian material and that members are usually supporters of former presidential candidates Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin and Bob Barr. Lock me up again! On Oct. 14, 2007, I chronicle my long history of correspondence with Ron Paul followers in a post, Blogger Pens Open Letter to Ron Paul Supporters. Nine months later, I went as far as publishing a post under the headline, Report: Ron Paul ‘Sleeper Cells’ Poised to Strike. In addition, I offer hundreds of humorous and/or thought-provoking designs — many of them political — on t-shirts and other merchandise via my online store, The Bob McCarty Shop.
I could go on and on about the absurdity of the MIAC report, but a statement that appeared in an Associated Press article published Saturday states what many people believe to be true. Roger Webb, president of the University of Missouri campus Libertarians, said, “It seems like they want to stifle political thought.”
All of this reminds me of the series of events involving St. Louis area prosecutors attempting to stifle political speech that was not favorable toward their presidential candidate of choice (i.e., Barack Obama). See posts here and here for details.
Hat tip: Gateway Pundit [Note: It's worth noting that Jim Hoft, the St. Louis-area man behind the Gateway Pundit blog is, suspiciously, "out of the country" as the MIAC Strategic Report is making headlines.]
* * *
UPDATE 3/19/09 at 9:33 a.m. Central: I just finished a phone interview about this topic with Joshua Miller, a news editor at Fox News Channel in New York City. He said he expects to post a story based on the interview by this afternoon. If/when he does, I will publish another update here.
* * *
SECOND UPDATE 3/19/09 at 3:27 p.m. Central: Josh Miller just advised me that his article will be published at FoxNews.com tomorrow.
* * *
THIRD UPDATE 3/20/09 at 3:18 p.m. Central: Attempts to reach Josh Miller about when this article will be published at FoxNews.com have gone unanswered so far today. Stay tuned…
* * *
FOURTH UPDATE 3/23/09 at 11:57 a.m. Central: Josh Miller’s article finally appeared on the FoxNews.com web site today! See this post, Long-Awaited Fox News Article Goes to Press, for details.
* * *
FIFTH UPDATE 3/26/09 at 7:15 p.m. Central: See Missouri Governor Jay Nixon Accused of Harassing St. Louis Man Who Filed Sunshine Law Request
* * *
SIXTH UPDATE 3/27/09 at 1:27 p.m. Central: See Trust in Missouri Governor Seems to be Misplaced